Sunday, March 11, 2012

Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes with Peas

My favorite comfort meal of all time.
I used to request this on my birthday when I was a child
and we weren't going out to eat that night to celebrate.
The most basic meatloaf recipe is all ground beef with bread crumbs and uses ketchup,
though I've experimented with quite a few variations over the years.
Tonight, I subbed in 1 lb. of chicken sausage, celery and used oatmeal for the breading.
I also added some beer.
Feel free to add carrots, peppers, change the meat or breading, add liquids etc.
It's all about the ratios anyway...

Ingredients:
Meatloaf
1 Lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 Lb. Ground Chicken
1 C diced Onions
1/4 C minced Celery
1/4 C minced Garlic
2 Eggs
1/4 C Oakshire Brewing O'Dark:30 CDA
1/2 C Rolled Oats
2 T S & P (each)
2 T Yellow Mustard Powder
1 T Thyme
1 T African Bird powder
Glaze
1/2 C BBQ sauce
1/4 C Spicy Brown Mustard
4 T Honey
Potatoes
2 Lbs. Gold Potatoes
4 T Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
2 T Salt


Directions:
  1. Beat eggs and soak oats with beer for 5 - 10 mins.
  2. Add spices to egg mixture.
  3. Combine meat, vegetables and egg mixture in a large bowl.
  4. Press into a baking pan, filling the entire dish
  5. Cover with foil & Bake @ 350 for 40 mins
  6. Remove from oven and drain excess liquid from pan
  7. Cover with glazing sauce and bake for 20 mins, uncovered
  8. Remove and let cool before slicing ( I couldn't wait so my glaze isn't solid in the photo)
Mashed potatoes come in many different varieties, my family traditionally uses sour cream instead of heavy cream, though cream cheese, or even just whole milk will also do the trick.  Just boil, mash and mix to your desired consistency.  I love a pulverized potato, no lumps for me thank you, and I add peas on top for a healthy crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment