Thursday, February 16, 2012

White Castle Sliders

My personal tribute to some of the best 24-hour food ever...White Castle Sliders.
I grew up mostly in St. Louis, MO and spent a lot of time @ my grandmother's house learning the basics of cooking and baking.  My grandfather, however, often took us around the corner to the Maplewood White Castle, and though I've been to many others in the mid-west and northeast, I always envision WC sliders as I first discovered them @ that exact location.

Recently, a meatloaf experiment turned out tasting just like white castle patties.  It wasn't what my mouth wanted, not in that form anyway.  So, I decided to recreate the meat recipe and surround tiny square patties with explosive, meat-flavored onions, bread and butter pickles and serve up sides of krinkle fries.
Here are the results.  The recipe will follow.  Anyone that has a recipe for their orange drink, I may need that next time...


Ingredients:
1/2 Lb. Ground beef
1/2 Lb. Ground turkey thighs
1/2 Medium yellow onion, diced into tiny squares
1/4 Cup of butter
1 Package of Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (12 buns each)
1 Jar of Bread & Butter pickles
1 Bottle of ketchup
1 T S & P

Directions:
1. Combine Beef & Turkey in a bowl together with S & P
2. Using your hands or a roller, flatten the burger meat into a thin sheet.
3. Cut into even squares and fry on a skillet @ Medium-High Heat
4. Add onions after flipping the burgers, top onions with 1 T butter
5. Pull burgers when done, cooking in shifts if necessary
6. Brown onions until they are almost crispy
7. Using the remaining butter, brown the buns in shifts
8. Build sliders with the ratio/condiments of your choice

No comments:

Post a Comment