Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Broccoli Quesadillas


I've decided to work through my classics to open the Nom Nom Kitchen
Tonight's entree is my favorite vegetarian meal outside of straight-up cheese pizza...



Broccoli Quesadillas


Ingredients:
1 broccoli crown
1 T butter
2 scallions
1 small red pepper
2 jalapenos
2 cloves of garlic
S & P
1/2 t ground cumin
Shredded manchego
Small corn tortillas


Garnish: 
I use a bed of cilantro, and top that with a pico or salsa and a drizzle of lime juice
Tonight, I'm using a fresh mango salsa
Directions:
1. Dice and lightly boil broccoli crown for 5 - 10mins (i use the stem as well for crunch and go the full 10 mins)
2. Melt butter in a sautee pan and add cumin
3. Add diced scallions, red pepper and jalapenos, cook until onions are clear
4. Add minced garlic for 2 mins and remove from heat


5. Strain broccoli and let ingredients cool
6. Dice broccoli and add to onion/pepper mixture
7. Heat a saute pan, oil if necessary, i use a non-stick pan and skip the oil to keep it healthier
9. Drop one tortilla in heated pan and build the quesadillas with cheese on the bottom, pepper mixture in the middle and cheese again on top
10. Place 2nd tortilla on top and flip once golden brown
11. Plate and devour


This derivation of an old recipe comes from my mother's inventiveness...
(Thanks Mom, hope i get the story right)
She really enjoyed the spinach quesadillas at my parent's favorite Tex/Mex restaurant in Charlotte, NC
Salsa's
and decided to add broccoli @ home one evening.
I was intrigued and have played with the spice factor (adding jalepenos, serranos, or habeneros)
as well as the cheese (cheddar, queso blanco, even the "mexican style" mix bag from the grocery)
but settled on Manchego for its excellent melting quality and nutty flavor which goes really well with the broccoli
Also, props to Jeff Extine for helping me refine the recipe and for correcting my obvious mistakes
Enough chit-chat though, my ingredients are cooled
and I'm ready to get my nom on asap
Enjoy,
Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment